The programme has three main aims:
- To provide physical activity and sport options for young people with high support needs
- To create a vehicle for the inclusion of disabled and non-disabled young people together
- To provide a basic introduction to a wide range of sports and activities in support of the School Games programme.
TOP Sportsability is a free online resource for schools and offers practical advice to teachers, learning support staff and other sports practitioners. It consists of video clips and downloadable content showing ideas and strategies around the inclusion of young disabled people in physical activity, it is divided into three sections:
- User manual - shows how to use the resource and establishes basic principles and models of inclusion
- Disability sport & adapted games - features the sports in the original TOP Sportsability plus some new activities
- Sports adaptations - consists of traditional 'mainstream' sports adapted for the widest possible range of abilities.
To access the resources, you'll need to register for the programme online.
For further information, please contact:
Dr Niamh-Elizabeth Reilly
Programme Officer – Project Ability