BE Football is a programme for secondary schools that focuses on the importance of teamwork and character development that supports the new Welsh Curriculum. BE Football is funded by the Football Association of Wales (FAW) and is delivered the Youth Sport Trust (YST). The programme aims to develop girls’ character skills through football activities; curriculum learning with a trained PE staff; and extra-curricular clubs led by trained Football Influencers.
The Youth Sport Trust Research and Insight Team conducted an evaluation of BE Football. Key findings included:
- BE Football has been effective at increasing awareness of girls’ football and providing girls with more opportunities to play in an environment they feel comfortable in.
- As a result, there is evidence that the amount of football girls play both within school and in the community is increasing.
- The programme has begun to challenge negative perceptions of girls’ football, but more can be done.
- The programme has supported Football Influencers to enhance key life skills, in particular self-belief, leadership, teamwork and communication skills.
- The programme has supported practitioners to gain new knowledge to adapt their teaching approach and helped inspire and motivate them to improve the delivery of girls’ football in PE.
Three school case studies can be downloaded on the right-hand side.