YST News - October 2018YST News - October 2018
Our Top Story
Tickets for YST 2019 Conference go on sale - Book your place at the YST 2019 Annual Conference. The theme this year is 'Transforming education through sport'. Keynote speakers confirmed so far include Ofsted Chief Inspector, Amanda Spielman.
- YST welcomes Ofsted's plans for inspection refocus - YST Chief Executive Ali Oliver said: “The quality of a child’s education should be assessed on more than just test results.
- Kare announced as BBC Young Sports Personality - The 17-year-old was presented with an award at BBC Radio 1's Teen Awards. The Youth Sport Trust was among the judging panel for this year's awards.
- Physical activity programme to plug social mobility gap - A programme has been launched in partnership with West Somerset County Council and Futures for Somerset in a bid to close the educational gap for the UK’s most disadvantaged children and help them to become school ready.
- Education Secretary makes drive for more competitive school sport - YST Chief Executive Ali Oliver said: “At a time when children’s physical and mental health and social development are very real priorities for schools and society, the pivotal role that sport can play in nurturing their development has never been more essential."
Upcoming Featured Events
- School Games Summit - 20 November, Coventry
- YST National Conference - 28 February, Coventry
- How to spend it; making primary PE and sport premium work for you (Education Executive) - Read More
- Why You Shouldn’t Ignore Technology in PE (Teach Secondary) - Read More
- Physical Education is just as important as any other school subject (The Conversation) - Read More
Sector Round Up
- Drive to ensure all children can swim by end of primary school (Gov.UK) - Read More
- Research finds link between time online and obesity in children (Guardian) - Read More
- 'Ofsted could end up wasting everyone's time' (TES) - Read More
YST News is also available as a monthly newsletter. To make sure you get next month's edition before anyone else you can sign-up to our mailing list below.