In order for the Youth Sport Trust to remain safe and welcoming for children, appropriate criminal records checks must be made for all roles which involve significant contact with children.
The Youth Sport Trust has a two-stage vetting check process:
- Individuals must obtain the correct level of criminal records check. Depending on where an individual lives will depend of the Criminal Records check that they will need. Please refer to the appropriate information on this page about the check an individual will need if an individual lives in England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland.
- Any convictions, cautions or other information that comes to light as a result of a criminal records check is reviewed by the Youth Sport Trust HR team for relevancy regarding safeguarding and the individual's suitability to work (or volunteer) with children.
The Youth Sport Trust may request further information from any individual who has a conviction which is deemed to be potentially relevant.
The existence of previous conviction(s) or caution(s) or other information will not necessarily prevent an individual from taking on the role for which they have applied. It will depend on the nature and circumstance of the conviction(s)/caution(s) or information provided in relation to the Disclosure. The Youth Sport Trust has a policy statement on the recruitment of ex-offenders which can be found on this page.
If convictions are revealed through a Vetting Check only the HR Team and Safeguarding Team will be aware of these unless there is a need to share information with others in order to protect children.
All information is kept confidential and managed within a secure environment, in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act. Where information is shared, this is done in accordance with the requirements of 'Working Together to Safeguard Children, 2013'
An individual will not be able to take on the role where a criminal records check is required until their Vetting check is confirmed as "complete" by the Youth Sport Trust.
Please click on the documents below to read:
- Criminal Records Check - England and Wales
- DBS requirement flowchart
- Criminal Records Check - Scotland
- PVG requirment flowchart
- Criminal Records Check - Northern Ireland
- AccessNI requirement flowchart
- Criminal Records Check - Republic of Ireland
- Garda vetting requirement flowchart
- Recruitment of ex-offenders policy