The pilot events each utilised different variations to their competition
format, the most popular variation used was alternative scoring approaches. Other variations included power play, sportsmanship / values awards, selection criteria, skills focus, player rotation, alternative team format, sin bin, bio-banding and personal challenges.
Through the research activities conducted several benefits have been identified for young people participating in alternative competition formats.
- Increased participation in sport and physical activity
- Increased engagement and enjoyment
- Inclusive atmosphere with increased participation for all
- Increased sportsmanship and teamwork
- Increased skill development and quality of game play
- Increased opportunity to think strategically and tactically
- Increased sense of achievement
- Increased confidence to participate in sport and physical activity
- Promotes participation across those young people who might not have actively participated previously
- Provides the opportunity for young people to undertake leadership roles