Government and NGB GuidanceYST Government and NGB Guidance
Government guidance - 06 April
Updated guidance on physical activity was published on Tuesday 06 April. You can read the latest update here.
Return of school sport
The Government’s lockdown exit plan published 22 February 2021 has confirmed that:
- All schools in England will return from 8 March from when under-18 sport can take place at school as part of educational provision, or as part of wraparound care. Wraparound care will be to enable parents or carers to work, seek work, attend education, seek medical care or attend a support group.
- From 29 March, the Government will also allow outdoor sports facilities to reopen, broadening the options for outdoor exercise and recreation. These facilities, such as tennis and basketball courts, and swimming pools, can be used by people in line with the wider social contact limits. Formally organised outdoor sports – for adults and under 18s - can also restart and will not be subject to the gatherings limits, but should be compliant with guidance issued by national governing bodies. This will also be when inter-school sport can resume.
- As part of step two of the lockdown relaxations, no earlier than 12 April, all children will be able to attend any indoor children's activity, including sport, regardless of circumstance.
Read the new operational guidance for schools, updated by the Department for Education on 22 February 2021, here.
National lockdown - 05 January 2021
The headline guidance from the Department of Education (DfE) is available here. This follows the Prime Minister’s announcement on 4 January 2021, stating only children of critical workers and vulnerable children and young people should attend school or college. All other pupils and students will receive remote education.
The following documents were published by the Department of Education (DfE), unless otherwise stated:
- Restricting attendance during the national lockdown: schools - updated February 2021
- Actions for schools during the coronavirus outbreak - last updated 22 February 2021
- Grassroots sports guidance for safe provision including team sport, contact combat sport and organised sport events - last updated 06 January 2021
- Protective measures for holiday and after-school clubs, and other out-of-school settings - last updated 23 February 2021