BAMEYST Inclusion - BAME
We care passionately about children's futures and are determined to do more to understand and help tackle racism, discrimination and prejudice that Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people face.
The COVID-19 pandemic and the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis served as a stark reminder that the world is not a level playing field.
Equality, diversity and inclusion sit at the very heart of our mission and every aspect of our work, but there is more that we can and must do to help tackle racism through our work in sport and education.
Systemic change is needed to address the underlying causes of inequalities in our society and sport, and it is clear that this will only be achieved by people and organisations working together. We will continue to collaborate with and learn from organisations with expertise in this area like Sporting Equals and the BAME PE Network, working together to maximise our resources and impact.
As a charity we passionately believe in the power of sport to give young people a voice and a place to belong. We will work with young people from BAME backgrounds to help them develop solutions. It is important that voices of all young people are heard, especially from under-represented groups, and we will continue to work with leaders both in sport and education to achieve this.
Leadership in sport, education and society must become more diverse and representative. We have set out how we will work to achieve this at all levels within our organisation and will support others to do so.
We know our action is needed more than words. We commit to challenge ourselves to effectively play our part in addressing race equality and to be held accountable for our progress.
Follow the links below to find out more about:
- Our code of governance Diversity Action Plan
- How we are tackling inequality and fostering acceptance and understanding
- BAME education network resources
- BAME PE
- A journey to understanding critical whiteness
- The A-Z of Social Justice Physical Education: Part 1
- Breaking Boundaries work and faith guide
- Sport England blog responding to Black Lives Matter movement
- Sport and Recreation Alliance sector commitment
- 'Top Tips' - BAME in communities
- Religious, Faith and Cultural Guide – Provides a greater awareness and understanding of the diﬀerent religions, faiths and cultures within communities. The guide includes a festival calendar on significant dates for religious observance together with an overview on the six main religions in the UK.