About the PremiumYST About the Premium
The premium must be spent by schools on making additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE, physical activity and sport for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
The Secretary of State does not consider the following expenditure as falling within the scope of additional or sustainable improvement:
- Employing coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements - these should come out of schools’ core staffing budgets
- Teaching the minimum requirements of the national curriculum PE programmes of study - including those specified for swimming
- Fund capital expenditure.
Maintained schools, including those that convert to academies, must publish information about their use of the premium on their website by the end of the summer term or 31 July at the latest. Schools must publish:
- The amount of premium received
- A full breakdown of how it has been spent (or will be spent)
- What impact the school has seen on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment
- How the improvements will be sustainable in the future
- What percentage of pupils within their year 6 cohort for academic year 2019 to 2020 can do each of the following:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
If selected, schools must also take part in a sampling review to scrutinise their compliance with these conditions.