2012 Commonwealth Youth Awards
Do you know of a young person making a positive difference to the lives of other people in your community or country?
The Commonwealth Secretariat is awarding five prizes per Commonwealth region to a young person who is making a positive difference to the lives of other people in their community or country. The top entry from each region will receive a Pan Commonwealth Award which includes £3,000, a trophy and a certificate.
The Secretariat is looking for young people whose development work reflects the Commonwealth's Plan for Youth Empowerment to:
- promote youth participation in decision making
- promote economic empowerment of young people
- take action for equality between young women and men
- promote peaceful and democratic environments in which human rights flourish
- provide quality education for all
- improve access to information and communication technology
- promote heath, development and values through sports and culture
- engage young people to protect the environment
Nominations close on Tuesday 31 July 2012. The nominee must have been engaged in development work for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity. The development work must be ongoing and in a Commonwealth member country. The nominee should not be older than 29 years on 31 December 2012 and individuals cannot nominate themselves.