Learning Leaders is about core PE and is an entitlement for every young person. It aims to make the development of leadership skills an explicit outcome of PE, so that learners can recognise and articulate their skills.
The programme focuses on pedagogy, exploring the teaching and learning strategies that best facilitate the development of learners' leadership skills.
Secondary school PE teachers in England are supported through a training workshop and resource pack, which is funded by Sport England and designed by the Youth Sport Trust.
The five hour training workshops are delivered locally by Youth Sport Trust national trainers. During the workshop teachers explore ideas and share strategies that will lead to improved outcomes for young people. Teachers are given a handbook and a set of student cards at the workshop.
By the end of the workshop, teachers should be able to:
- identify key leadership skills and recognise how they contribute to young people's learning and achievement;
- describe what level Learning Leaders may be at by the time they are 14;
- describe ways of identifying what stage learners (aged 11) are placed, so they can plan for appropriate teaching, learning and progress;
- explain the role of PE in developing Learning Leaders;
- recognise where Learning Leaders sit on the leadership pathway and their opportunities for progression; and
- recognise some of the deployment opportunities, links with the School Games and national resources available to support Learning Leaders' development.
Click on the list of Learning Leaders Partner Schools on the righthandside to find out where your nearest workshops will be held.